Download and Install
- Q: How to install it?
A: No installation is needed, just extract the package and start with Smellyriver.TankInspector.exe.
Registration and Account
- Q: I haven’t received the activation mail after my first sign in.
A: As there are so many people start using Tank Inspector during these days, our mail server is heavily overcrowded. So it is very likely you will not receive the activation mail. We will resend the mail as soon as we could.
- Q: I cannot reset my password, I haven’t received the reset password email.
A: As our mail server is heavily overcrowded, you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org from the email which is your Tank Inspector account, so we will send you the reset instruction manually.
- Q: Why do we need to register and sign in to use Tank Inspector?
A: There are many reasons. For example, some function requires querying data from our server, we need an authentication to get rid of abuse, also if we realized that our server is under high stress, we always have the option to disable registering. Furthermore. in our future plan, configurations of tanks could be stored on the server and shared with others. Some features in connection with your WoT profile might also be introduced, which requires an account association too. For now it’s mostly an infrastructure.
- Q: Do I need to use my WoT account to connect?
A: DO NOT use your WoT account as your Tank Inspector account. Use another password, preferably another email address. Although it’s technically safe if you use your WoT account, we do not want Tank Inspector to bring any potential security risk to you.
- Q: What if I accidently used by WoT account to sign in Tank Inspector?
A: Be ease. Your password is stored in an irreversible encrypted form both locally and on our server. That is, even if this encrypted password is leaked, it is still practically impossible to retrieve your plain (real) password from it, thus no one could use it to access your WoT account. However, it is still recommended to use another password and email other than the one your WoT is using.
- Q: Tank Inspector won’t launch.
A: There are many reasons which might cause this issue. Please check:
- You are running with Windows XP SP3 or later Windows operation system
- You have .NET Framework 4.0 and DirectX 9.0c installed (see the download page)
- You have a graphics card which supports DirectX 9.0c
- The downloaded package is not corrupted, and it’s fully extracted
- You have sufficient RAM and disk space. Tank Inspector typically requires 200MB of spare RAM to run, and 100MB disk space for caching
- Q: Tank Inspector crashed.
A: Please send sti.log to email@example.com, to help us find out what was happening.
- Many issues are known and in our schedule to be fixed. You can find them in the Known Issues page.
- Q: How to compare stats between two tanks?
A: Click the orange arrow button located at the bottom-right corner, a list of the tanks in the same class and tier as the tank you are currently viewing would show. Click on any of them to set as the reference tank. All stats will be compared with the reference tank, with arrows shown on their right indicating the compare result: green for better, red for worse, blue for non-comparable. Detail compare result could be found in the tooltip popped up while you put your mouse over a data item in the data view.
You can also set the reference tank by clicking the orange arrow button on the right of a search result item.
- Q: Can I change the configuration of a reference tank?
A: Not for now. The reference tank is always in elite configuration with 100% proficiency crews, with neither equipment nor consumables installed, as well as no crew skills and perks learnt. However, it will try to load a shot similar to current selected tank.
- Q: The model/data region is too short.
A: For low resolution screens, it is recommended to hide the tank description by clicking on the name of the tank.
- Q: How can I enter the sniper mode?
A: Press left shift on your keyboard in model view.
- Q: How can I change the shoot distance in sniper mode?
A: Use W and S on your keyboard. A double tap allows you move faster.
- Q: Comparing more than two tanks? Maybe in a grid view?
A: Currently all our features are focused on one single tank, including the compare function – that is why we call the second comparee a reference tank, and we didn’t show the stats of the reference tank directly. Comparison among multiple tanks sounds to be useful, however it cound not fit in the current framework.
- Q: Consider penetration loss (by distance) and trajactory (gravity of shell) in shoot tests and sniper mode?
A: The shoot test feature is for measuring the equivalent thickness of the armor with a certain angle, distance and type/caliber of shell, it makes no sense to consider the penetration loss and trajactory. However, a true shoot emulation will be introduced in the future, which allows you to shoot your current tank with your reference tank. In such a feature, all factors which might affect a penetration will be considered.
- Q: Premium camo support? What about custom textures?
A: Both will come in future releases.
- Q: Will you add the hitbox of modules (fuel tanks, ammo racks etc.)?
A: Sorry, no plan for that. The hitbox data is no longer available from the game client since a long time ago, and we won’t have time to collect them manually.
- Q: I would like to know how much experience it would take to unlock a whole branch. Will that be implemented?
A: Perhaps. I did thought about it, however hadn’t found a proper way to present it.
- Q: Tank Inspector is awesome! How can I support you?
A: Donation is always welcome. You can also help us to make Tank Inspector known by more people – discuss it in your local WoT community, or simply introduce it to your friends/in-game friends/clan members etc..
- Q: Can I help to translate Tank Inspector to other languages?
A: Sure, the localization SDK is released, see how to do it.